Thursday, January 1, 2009

Some thoughts on food

Food has been spectacular. Most of my favorite Indian dishes have been served in the Jesuit Residence, although one was a Pakistani stew that tasted very much like something I eat in Milwaukee. The difference is that a typical meal here at the Jesuit Residence involves rice, a form of taco, a salad, and platters containing up to four types of food that we normally get as an entrĂ©e. It’s followed with fruit (for lunch, I had mango and tangerine, skipping the bananas because I had that for lunch), and something sweet, often ice cream.  One of the fathers told me that Indian ice cream has been voted second only to that of Italy. I believe it after eating the black current and chocolate straws ice creams.  The only thing I have to fear is walking down streets and passing venders selling wonderful looking and smelling foods. We eat three solid meals a day (mornings’ offering are eggs and a kind of ham; lunch and dinner are substantial meals). There is also high tea at 4 p.m., a custom we should take up (although it involves sweets here, and I guess I’m going to have to go back on the diet when I get home).

No comments:

Post a Comment