Friday, January 2, 2009

On Friday, we had video, aspirin and cows



       It's Friday so the students are being introduced to video.  While half of them are out shooting, the other half is downloading their still pictures they took the other day and selecting their favorites for critiques. This half also learned Photoshop. I'm sort of amazed at how fast we are pushing them, but they seem to be taking it like little ducks take to water.  The speaker at the kickoff described this generation as "digital natives" as opposed to mine, "digital immigrants." It sure shows in adaption to technology. In the afternoon, the two groups flipped roles.
      One of the problems that you feel quickly is how important technology is away from home. Thank heaven that we have Carole Burns, whose attitude of rolling with the punches as well as her competence keeps me from worrying. Computers don't have necessary programs? No problem, she'll add them. Camera batteries won't charge? Not to worry, she'll buy another kind. Video batteries won't hold a charge? She'll take care of it. Students freeze up the computer? Easy work.  I'm confident that the students will finish their projects on times, and that they'll be wonderful. 
       After the day's classes ended, Carole and I headed off on foot in search of batteries. We ended up walking down the road that passes in front of St. Xavier's for about six blocks until we hit an area with businesses. Along the way, we have some close encounters with India's most famous residents (see photos). That first cow took a real liking to me (maybe it was the yellow Marquette/St. Xavier polo shirt or maybe it was the camera). That picture, by the way, wasn't using a telephoto lens -- that blasted cow was about two feet away when I snapped this. 
      Anyway we found a bunch of stores. The second one we went in was a Japanese electronics store with the usual assortment of junk and high-tech. But Carole found batteries.  With trepidation, we crossed the road (that's the crossing used in the previous post; Carole swacked me when I was shooting it since there was a gap of perhaps 10 feet and we didn't dash into it since I was shooting the picture) to explore a flea market and bunch of small shops. I was searching for aspirin since my back is objecting to something. I found a small store that sells timed-release aspirins that look like nothing I've seen before. Little red, heart-shaped pills.
       Afterward we kept walking. By now we had taken several turns, but -- because I'm a cocky, not-so-smart man -- I said I was sure that if we took this one street for five or six blocks, we'd run into the big street at the end of the block near St. Xavier's. Hah! I was right. We found our way back.

1 comment: