Monday, January 5, 2009

Of editing, web sites, and Catholic films

     Today is Monday, and we're back instructing. Actually, the teams of students are swarming the campus like locusts. At tea in the Jesuit Residence (yes, tea time lives), three of the fathers said they had been approached by multimedia teams working on stories, including Father Vincent (the principal as opposed to Father Vincent the science teacher) had been approached three times. There seemed to be a bit of an air that the students were getting annoying.  It's heartwarming to bring good old American journalism to an unspoiled part of the world.
     Most of my day was editing the biographies being prepared for students for the website that will accompany the final projects of all eight teams. It wouldn't have been all that hard except that Indian English follows, well, the English style, not the American version I've spent my lifetime learning. So I had to leave Journalism capitalized, as well as Bachelor's degree and even Basketball (it was being emphasized in the story so it should be capitalized; I checked with a St. Xavier's journalism instructor, honest). But the hardest thing was allowing punctuation outside a final quote mark. I certainly hope none of my Marquette students are reading that I allowed such a thing since I hammer them to death about it.
     After classes were over, Carole Burns and I met with a St. Xavier journalism instructor and two students to discuss setting up a web site for the school's monthly magazine. While we were sitting there, Carole set up a home site for when the students are ready to fill it. We will be training the two, Carole on technical issues and some web design while I will teach them some editing for the Internet techniques.
      After a little break (while I blogged) we went as a team to tour a Jesuit Communications Center, Gurjarvani, which creates and publishes both audio and video projects featuring the Gujarati and other local languages. We had a good discussion of creating digital products. After dinner at Gurjarvani, Vince and I walked to the market for sodas. It was a good walk (the temperature was 70 at 10:30 at night -- the weather here is so boring, for the four days we have left in this visit, it's going to be 82, 82, 83, 83 and sunny each day, of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment