Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cows, no. Camels, no. Monkeys, yes!


When I first heard of St. Xavier’s College, I was told the campus was overrun with monkeys. I get here and . . . no monkeys. I wait a week . . . no monkeys. Ten days . . . no monkeys.
Suddenly Tuesday morning we get a call from Boris Gomes, one of the students who have been working to develop the class website. There are monkeys near the church. The game is afoot!
Carole, Vincent and I are off in search of monkeys. Sure enough, as we approach the church, I see a monkey sitting on a fence near a tree. I approach, camera in hand, and the monkey’s gone. Now it’s in the tree. Despite the fact the monkeys are more than three feet tall with a longer tail, they are very fast.
Carefully, I focus on the monkey in the tree. Success. We have a monkey photo.


We walk toward the church, the monkey forgotten. Suddenly one comes racing by, chased by a dog. It leaps atop a fence where the dog can’t go and stops.
Snap, another monkey picture. I’m told that when Provost John Pauly was here a year ago, he didn’t see them on campus. Sorry, John. We got a monkey. You have to come back.
Now, off to pursue an elephant. I think I’ll skip hunting for a tiger.

No comments:

Post a Comment