Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Monday: Classes start, and we meet wonderful students

Monday – the end of the first day. My computer still won’t reach the Internet. I’ve been able to log on using others’ computers, but only for short period. The good news is that Carole, who I hope is right now in the middle of her flight from Amsterdam to Delhi. If you are reading this, she succeeded in getting here, and in fixing my computer.
It was the first day of class, and we met our students. The cultural difference between American and Indian became obvious during role call conducted by Father Vinayak. He would read out a name and be answered by “Here, Father,” or “Present, Father,” not, “Yeah,” or a grunt. The Indian students are extra-ordinarily polite. When I attempted to get on my knees to be level with a group with whom I was working, they insisted that I sit. On the other hand, some things are the same. The students trickled in, many of them late. A cell phone went off during class, and many of them grabbed their cell phones as they went out the door on breaks. And, just like Marquette journalism students, they are very serious about learning.
Today’s lesson began with a nice summing up of the history of online journalism, dating back to 1981 and the first attempts. Dr. Thorn brought them up to the present, showing many examples of today’s web pages. I was next, discussing backpack journalism. I began by saying that Dr. Thorn discussed “macro journalism” while I was going to teach “micro journalism.” While we could reach the Internet, we couldn’t get sound so I wasn’t able to have the students listen to what current backpack journalist professionals say about their work. Still, Ashley told me that students around her were taking lots of notes. That was gratifying since that indicated the students were interested in the subject.
We separated students into eight teams of four or five students each. There are 35 in total. Their command of English ranges from excellent to nonexistent. Language does make a difference. I asked Father Vinayak for a critique of my lecture. He said that at times I was moving too fast for many in the audience. I plead guilty since I am enthusiastic about the subject and sometimes don’t go as slow as American students would like so I’m sure I went too fast for some of the students.
The teams have selected topics, and have planned how they are approaching their projects. The topics range from profiling a campus communications center through critiquing food at the campus Canteen. If we follow the “man bites dog” is news theory, the real news will be when I find a school where students actually like campus food.
I went for a walk with Dr. Thorn, then took a nap, joined the Jesuits for dinner, joined at intervals by Dr. Thorn who was back from a rickshaw trip with Father Vinayak to a store to purchase cell phones, and the M.U. students, who had been napping. In a subtle reminder of the problems India has faced lately, Father Vinayak had to produce all sorts of identification and explanations before they would sell him seven disposable cell phones. By the way, I’m going to quit commenting on food since the meals have all been spectacular. I’ve even gotten advice on a different India restaurant that Father Vinayak said was the best in Milwaukee. (What is it? you ask. Hah, I’m keeping it to myself.)
Now I’m polishing up a PowerPoint on interviewing for backpack journalists that I’m giving tomorrow. We’re going to split the students into two groups. Dr. Thorn is going to teach them still photography, including sending them out with cameras to take photos for critiques. I will teach interviewing, then send them on an interview exercise, with students writing a short report afterward. Although we are expecting Carole Burns and Kellie to show up tomorrow morning, we aren’t counting on their being in shape to participate much, so we’re being flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment