Sunday, January 8, 2012

America, India, Facebook, the Internet and my birthday


Thank God that ordeal's over. Finally my seeming neverending birthday is over both here in India and in the U.S. With the spread of the Internet and Facebook, I ended up with more than 70 people from four continents wishing me a happy birthday. Enough already.

Here in India, it was three parties and three cakes. It started with a party from my students outside the computer lab at St. Xavier. That's where the photo came from. Seems they have a tradition that the person observing a birthday slice off a piece of the cake, then they shove it into his or her mouth. So that's me with a piece of chocolate cake being stuffed into my mouth. As I cut the cake, I heard my first round of "Happy Birthday." The second came with the Jesuit fathers in their residence -- along with a second chocolate cake. The final one came at a tea with Father Cedric Prakash at his peace-making center -- along with chocolate cake. Do you detect a theme here?

OK, I get it. I'm a year older. And thank you all for the best wishes. I really do appreciate them, even though I hate having a fuss made over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment