Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ahmedabad's birds would make Hitchcock jealous

I'm working in the Mac lab at St. Xavier's this morning. It's 6:15 a.m. local time. When I came to the lab, Carole was already here with headphones on because the sounds were so overwhelming. Dogs are barking. Cars are beeping. A peacock is chirping as are a variety of birds. Monkeys barking occasionally punctuate the darkness.

But the most pervasive sound of all is the morning cacophony of almost solid sound of the kites, a type of eagle, that swarm around the campus in the morning. Like so much of India, it's hard to describe in words, but I think the term "solid sound" comes closest. The only thing I've heard similar in the U.S. is the sound of swarms of starlings that would occasionally roost in trees outside of my boyhood home in Indiana.

For a video, see Carole's Facebook video

No comments:

Post a Comment